Consumer's Guide to Insurance
For Small Business Owners

Guide Provides Information On:

  • Business Owner's Package Policy
  • Auto Insurance
  • Worker's Compensation Insurance
  • Health Insurance

If you operate a full- or part-time business you will need both property and liability insurance. Property insurance provides protection in case of a theft or if a fire breaks out at your business headquarters and destroys equipment and inventory. Liability insurance provides protection in case someone gets hurt using your product or services or falls down the stairs.

As a business owner you may need other types of insurance coverage such as auto, worker’s compensation, health, or disability insurance. This brochure is designed to tell you about the different types of insurance available, how to buy the coverage you need and to let you know how to file a complaint with the Insurance Commissioner’s Office.

Consumer's Guide to Insurance for Small Business Owners is available to be downloaded below. Note, however, that you will need an Adobe Acrobat Reader to view or print this information, which you can download at no cost from Adobe .

Consumer's Guide to Insurance for Small Business Owners (opens in new window)

Revisions Made After October 2007
Page 19New Address
Wisconsin Insurance Security Fund
2820 Walton Commons West, Suite 135
Madison, WI 53718-6797
Page 27New Name and Web Site Address:
BadgerCare Plus
BadgerCare Plus is a new program for children under 19 years of age and families in Wisconsin who need and want health insurance.(
Page 29New Mandated Benefit:
Coverage of student on medical leave.

If you have questions or concerns about your insurance company or agent, write to the insurance company or agent involved. Keep a copy of the letter you write. If you do not receive satisfactory answers, please contact:

Office of the Commissioner of Insurance
P.O. Box 7873
Madison, WI 53707-7873
(608) 266-0103

For information on filing a complaint with the Insurance Commissioner's Office, call:

Insurance Complaint Helpline
1-800-236-8517 (Statewide)
(608) 266-0103 (Madison)

Deaf, hearing, or speech impaired callers may reach OCI through WI TRS.

For your convenience, a complaint form is included on OCI's Web Site.