Date:February 29, 2008
To:All Insurers and Agents Regarding the Solicitation of Travel Insurance in Wisconsin
From:Sean Dilweg, Commissioner of Insurance
Subject:New Rules Creating a Limited Line of Authority for Travel Insurance in Wisconsin

This bulletin contains a summary of the creation of s. Ins 6.50 (2) (b) 5, Wis. Adm. Code, and amendments to ss. Ins 6.59 (2), 26.04 (2) (a), and 28.04 (2) (a), Wis. Adm. Code.

Effective April 1, 2008, all individuals selling travel insurance in Wisconsin are required to obtain an insurance agent license. Travel insurance is defined in s. Ins 6.50 (2) (b) 5, Wis. Adm. Code, as "insurance coverage for trip cancellation, trip interruption, baggage, life, sickness and accident, disability and personal effects when limited to a specific trip and sold in connection with transportation provided by a common carrier." This rule created a new limited line for travel insurance, adopting the uniform definition developed by the Producer Licensing Working Group of the National Association of Insurance Commissioners (NAIC).

Individuals applying for a resident license with the line of travel insurance are exempt from prelicensing education, examination and continuing education requirements. These exemptions are consistent with the NAIC uniform standards.

The resident and nonresident applications are currently available at our Web site. Anyone wishing to apply at this time can submit the appropriate application and fees. All applications will remain in a pending status until April 1, 2008, at which time the licenses will be issued to those individuals who meet the standards.

Wisconsin residents can apply online after March 20 at, or use the following paper application: OCI 11-041R Resident Insurance Agent License Application Without Examination (opens in new window). Nonresidents will be able to apply online at after March 15.

It is highly recommended that the readers of this bulletin obtain copies of those laws determined to be applicable to their situation or operations. You may obtain a copy of the administrative rule at (opens in new window).

If you have questions, contact the Agent Licensing Section at