Each resident applicant for a property, personal lines, casualty, life or accident & health insurance license must complete, no more than one year earlier than the date tested, at least 20 hours of prelicensing education at an approved school prior to sitting for an examination. A listing of approved schools is available at www.sircon.com/index.html.

The prelicensing education is not a preparatory course for passing the examination. The intent is to provide a broad overview of insurance concepts, state laws, and ethics. The course content provided by approved schools will include eight hours of study of the principles of insurance, general Wisconsin insurance laws, and ethics. Once the eight hours is completed, it need not be repeated for each line. Twelve hours regarding policies, terms and concepts, and line-specific insurance law must be completed for each major line.

Courses can be completed in a classroom or via self-study. Applicants completing approved self-study prelicensing courses must also pass a proctored examination and have the proctored affidavit form submitted to the approved school to receive credits. This is in addition to the licensing examination required by the Commissioner and must be completed before taking the licensing examination.

Upon successful completion of the education requirement, the student will receive a Certificate of Prelicensing Education. The school is required to electronically bank the course information within 10 days of completion.

Exemptions to the education requirement include those candidates applying for the limited lines of title, credit, crop, surety, travel and legal expense. Candidates who have completed a two-year Wisconsin technical college degree in insurance, a four-year college degree in business with an insurance emphasis, or those who hold the following designations are also exempt.

License for the Life Line of Authority

  • Certified Employee Benefit Specialist (CEBS)
  • Chartered Financial Consultant (ChFC)
  • Certified Insurance Counselor (CIC)
  • Certified Financial Planner (CFP)
  • Chartered Life Underwriter (CLU)
  • Fellow of the Life Management Institute (FLMI)
  • Life Underwriter Training Council Fellow (LUTCF)

License for the Accident and Health Line of Authority

  • Registered Health Underwriter (RHU)
  • Certified Employee Benefit Specialist (CEBS)
  • Registered Employee Benefit Counselor (REBC)
  • Health Insurance Associate (HIA)

License for the Property, Casualty, or Personal Lines P&C

  • Accredited Advisory in Insurance (AAI)
  • Associate in Risk Management (ARM)
  • Certified Insurance Counselor (CIC)
  • Chartered Property and Casualty Underwriter (CPCU)